This article is about aof French Navy during .
The Lorraine was abelonging to the French Navy national Bretagne class named in honor of the French region.
The Lorraine was built by the shipyard Chantiers & Ateliers dela Loire in St. Nazaire, and her keel was laid in tier 1 August 1912. She was launched on September 30, 1913, and once completed assigned on 27 July 1916.
Like its twins, the battleships Bretagne and Provence, the Lorraine had as main armament 10 new 340 mm guns of the canceled Normandie class battleships arranged in twin turrets, two on the center line astern with closest to the high bridge, two in the same situation forward, and also on the center line in the middle of the ship, which could fire on both sides, but not hunting or withdrawal.
In the three modernizations carried out from 1921-1922, 1926-1927, and from 1934-1936 were added to Lorraine and a catapult floatplane instead of340 mm twin mount mid-ship, a modern anti-aircraft weapons, and their boilers were converted to fuel oil operation. Although his power rose to 43,000 hp, new boilers could only speed up to 21 knots, which, combined with their low armor of180 mm, made him unreliable in combat.
He served in theMediterraneanwith their twins during both world wars. While browsing safe from potentially hostile waters, so it did not participate in any action during the First World.
During the start of thethe Lorraine gold reserves transported fromFrance to theUnited States in November 1939. Later, he was ordered to sail to the easternMediterranean, where he participated in the bombardment of .
After the surrender of France, the British Admiralwho was in command of the of the , and the French Admiral René-Emile Godfroy agreed peaceful surrender and disarmament of Lorraine and other ships of his squadron in Alexandria June 22, 1940.
After being reset, the Lorraine joined the Allies on May 31, 1943 and participated in shore bombardment in the southern cities ofToulon and Marseille France, during Operation Dragon allies. Its main artillery provided covering fire for troops landing inFrance between August and September 1944 and bombed and left down numerous German fortifications in both the Mediterranean and theAtlantic for the remainder of the war.
After the Allied victory, the Lorraine was converted into coaching pontoon.
It was decommissioned on 17 February 1953, and was finally scrapped in 1954.