, as indicated in the Royal Army howitzer 152/13 was one gun produced in Britain during the First World . It was used until the early years of , when it was replaced, in order to combat units, from howitzer 5.5 in (149 mm).
At the beginning of WorldBritain ‘s army did not have a howitzer of 150 mm caliber around to be able to beat targets in the middle distance, given that 6 in 30 cwt (1.5 t howitzer 6) had a range of just 7000 m. The specifications provide for one gun capable of firing a projectile from 45 kg (100 lb) to 9000 m (9800 yd).
The howitzer had a very conventional construction, with a carriage body (monocoda) cradle, small carriage and plow. The elastic deformation was particularly appreciated, as to be reproduced on pieces of design later. The spoked wheels, initially circled in iron, were replaced by wheels with wooden heels external, to reduce ground pressure (and thus the sinking in the muddy ground). The device of panning was worm while the elevation was a crown gear. The brake hydraulic recoil was expected and it was a hydropneumatic recuperator.
The gun tube rifling was clockwise with 36 rows. It was built composite wall and circled tape. L ‘was the type shutter valve with plastic ring. The device of closing was particularly appreciated. The gun tube was connected via all’affusto mumps. The pointing device included a stand up (dial) with panoramic telescope.
The tow hitch was expected as animal but, as of 1916, he was also planned towed into a few pieces wheels were replaced with a tire model, thus allowing towed (in thewas carried out with the towing motor FWD 4×4 truck 3 t, while in the Royal Army was carried out from the tractor Breda TP322).
The use in the British Army
The use of these howitzers was expected as heavy artillery, in organic to corps, which had each a group of two batteries, each of four pieces, an army howitzer with this and the other with 60 lbs.
The first batteries were employed in 1915 on the western front, while a battery of siege took part in the Gallipoli campaign. After some pieces were sent to Basra and participated in the campaign in Mesopotamia. Also worked on the Italian front with the BEFI (Canada – in Italy), between November 1917 and the end of the war, deployed on the ‘plateau of the seven municipalities, participating in the battle of the solstice in that stretch across and sometimes cooperating with similar pieces (152/13) Italian.
During the war it was used primarily to beat the enemy trenches, and may be brought directly to nearly the front line. The possibility to lift the mouth up to 45 °, and then to have curved trajectories almost like those of mortars was particularly appreciated on the ground devastated the trenches. The use of this piece continued for the duration of the war, which remained in service even after the design of 5.5 in.
The ammunition in thewas on two types of grenade, lightweight 39 kg and heavy to 45.36 kg (100 lb). With the lightweight projectile maximum range was up to 10400 m. It is estimated that the piece, during the First World War, he shot more than 22 million hits on the .
During the First World War, the pieces were sold, as well as the countries of the Commonwealth, even at different allies, as well as Italy, Belgium (de obusier 6 “), and the Netherlands (Houwitzer 6″).
At the outbreak ofsome batteries were assigned to the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) and worked in France and Belgium. In 1941, considering the losses incurred with the retreat from , where they were practically lost all the artillery of the BEF, was put back into service in Africa and the Far East. The pieces in North Africa were gradually replaced by more modern artillery, while those in the Far East (deployed in defense of Christmas Island in the ) were lost with the fall of the island.
Some pieces were captured by the Germans, taking the names of sFH410 (b) 15.2 cm (pitched heavy caliber 15.2 cm, b stands for Belgier), sFH412 (i) 15.2 cm (i stands for italiener) , sFH407 (h) 15.2 cm (h stands for holländisch), sFH 412 (e) (15.2 cm and is about to englisch).
The use in the Royal Army
A score of batteries were ceded to Italy, which kept them in service even after the war with the designation 152/13. At the end of the First World War many pieces were reconditioned for towed and remained in service, although some pieces were left with spoked wheels for towing animal.
Duringparticipated in the campaign against France (June 1940) and were subsequently assigned coastal artillery. Some pieces after ‘September 8, 1943 were reused by the .
A copy of this piece is kept in the Museum of the War of Rovereto.
in sizes from 127 mm to 155 mm
Italian artillery guns