HMS Danae (D44) was aof the in the First and Second World Wars and the type of ship named after her Danae class. The warship was on 4 October 1944 transferred to the Polish Navy and are used by this as ORP Conrad.
Thesurvived the war and was scrapped in the UK in 1948.
Construction and design features
The ship was launched on 1 Placed at Armstrong Whitworth in Walker, a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne, keel Dezember 1916. She was launched on 26 Launched in January 1918 and was named after Danae, a mistress of Zeus and mother of Perseus from Greek mythology. On 22 July 1918, Danae was put into service.
The ship was at 29 knots (54 km / h), the fastest of its time cruisers. The drive consisted of two Brown-Curtis steam turbine n with six boilers, which submitted a total of 40,000 hp (29.4 MW) on two screws. The fuel supply was 1,060 tonnes, making them (18.5 km / h) up to 6,700 nautical miles (12,408 km) could go far at 29 knots Maximum 1,480 nautical miles (2741 km), and with 10 nodes. The armored cruiser was easy. The strength of the armor on the sides and command deck was 76 mm. The tanks and the ammunition chambers were protected with 57 mm armor steel, the main deck with 25 mm.
The armament consisted initially of six 15.2-inch guns, twelve torpedo tubes, two 7.62-inch and two 4.0-cm “pom-pom” anti-aircraft guns.
From 1943, the armament consisted of five 15.2-cm guns, one 10.2-cm, eight 4.0-inch and twelve 2.0-inch anti-aircraft guns. In addition, the ship was equipped with facilities for water bombing.
1918 to 1920
The cruiser was assigned stationed in Harwich 5th Lightand patrouillerte in the last months of in the North Sea. Operated between October and November 1919, Danae and her sister ship and s in the Baltic Sea and intervened on the side of the Whites in the Russian Civil . The Association supported the Lithuanian forces against the Bolsheviks.
In February 1920, the Danae of the 1st Light Cruiserof the Atlantic Fleet was assumed.
1921 to 1929
1923, the Special Service Squadron of the cruiser. It was a small fleet, which also have the battlecruiserand , the identical , Dragon, Dauntless, and nine other ships (mostly destroyers) belonged. The Association served propaganda purposes and should perform a bypass world. The ships left Devonport on 27 November towards Freetown. Then the ports of Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Durban were the 31 Was reached in December, started. In the new year, Zanzibar, Trincomalee, Singapore, Albany, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney and Wellington were visited. New Zealand was 16 May and then leave Suva in Fiji and Samara’s started. The next targets were Honolulu (June 6), Victoria (June 25) and Vancouver. The association reached on 11 July San Francisco and was divided there. The light cruiser then drove through the Panama Canal and even visited some ports in South America and the Caribbean, such as Guyana, the West Indies and Jamaica.
Between 1927 and 1928, Danae served with the 1st Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean as an escort ship. Then the cruiser was ordered back to Britain. There, the ship was completely overhauled and modernized.
1930 to 1938
After the overhaul, the Danae was made in 1930 to active duty and assigned to the British stationed in the West Indies 8th Cruiser Squadron.
Broke out in 1937 as the, the ship was moved to China to escort various evacuation transports from Shanghai to Hong Kong. Here, the cruiser was fired directly by the . In November of the same year, Danae was ordered back to Britain and placed in reserve.
1939 to 1944
The cruiser was reactivated in July 1939, initially operated in the South Atlantic and the Indian Ocean in October. On 23 March 1940, Danae was ordered to Malaya. She led several patrols in the sea area between Singapore and the Dutch East Indies. The ship was on 20 Commanded January 1941 in Chinese waters and escorted together with the Durban, the Dauntless, theand between convoys in the Yellow Sea and the Dutch East Indies and Ceylon. On 20 February 1942 they reached Batavia and then Colombo, from where the Danae was retired to Cape Town for overhaul.
After an eleven-month drydock period, the warship was put back into service in July 1943. In March 1944, the Danae returned to Britain and was assigned to the 1st Cruiser Squadron. Immediately before the Allied landing in Normandy, the cruiser ran in front of theto attack land targets. Also took part in the operation, , , HMS Mauritius, HMS Frobisher, , the ORP Dragon and ten destroyers of S, V and Hunt class. In July, the Danae sailed into the port of Port-en-Bessin-Huppain and Ouistreham. In August, she returned to Britain and was used as the Hulk in Plymouth.
On 7 July 1944 sank a German miniature submarine from the Negro type Dragon. Therefore, the Polish Navy received a new cruiser with Danae. It was on the 4th Added October, under Polish command and renamed Conrad. Originally, the cruiser should be either the name or Wilno Lwów. As the cities of Vilnius and Lviv were claimed in the Polish eastern territories of the Soviet Union, protested the British. Therefore, it was the politically neutral name of the Polish-born English writer Józef Konrad Korzeniowski, who is better known under the pseudonym of Joseph Conrad, was elected.
The majority of the crew of the survivors of the Dragon.
Under the command of Stanisław Dzienisiewicz Conrad was up to 23 January 1945 overhauled in Southampton and Chatham. In February, she was transferred toand on 2 Assigned April 10th Cruiser Squadron. The cruiser also belonged to another group, HMS Birmingham, HMS Bellona, and the .
A week later the Polish cruiser had to be withdrawn due to engine damage. The ship left the shipyard until three weeks after the war ended in Europe on 30 May and was the 29th Assigned to. Also belonged to the Association of the HMS Zodiac, HMS Zephyr and the HMS Zest. Conrad was stationed at the main base of the Navy in Wilhelmshaven. The city was previously 1 of the Polish armored division was captured.
By the end of 1945, she served as a transport ship for the Polish Red Cross. In January 1946, the ship returned to Rosyth, where together with the remaining Polish destroyers ORP Błyskawica, ORP Piorun and ORP Garland several practice missions were carried out.
From March the crew to prepare the transfer of the ship to Britain began. In August, the crew was halved. The ship was on 28 September 1946 returned to theand changed back into Danae. The cruiser was transferred to Falmouth, and on 22 January 1948 to TW Ward Company sold for scrap. By March, the Danae by Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd. was scrapped in Barrow-in-Furness.
Ship in WorldI
Ship in the Pacific
Russian Civil War