HMS Nelson

HMS Nelson (28)

HMS Nelson (28)

This article is about a battleship of Royal Navy during World War II. She participated in Operation Torch, Normandy landings, Malta Convoys and so on.

HMS Nelson was a battleship of the Royal Navy of Nelson Class, in service between the two World Wars. It was named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, victor of the Battle of Trafalgar.

Constructed according to the limitations imposed by the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922, it was for this reason a displacement not exceeding 35,000 tons. He inherited some features in the design of battleships Class G3: new406 mmmain guns in three turrets placed all in the bow, a low speed and a maximum armor limited only to vital points, just to comply with the limits of the Treaty.

The three towers were shown, from bow to stern, with the letters “A”, “B”, and “X”. The secondary armament was divided into the towers from P1 to P3 to port and starboard S1 to S3. The six anti-aircraft guns to119 mmranged from HA1 to HA6, with even numbers on the port side seats. The six anti-aircraft guns40 mmranged from M1 to M7, skipping the number 2.

History

Nelson was set in December 1922 in Newcastle by Armstrong-Witworth sites. Launched in September 1925, two years after it entered service in August 1927 and joined his mate Rodney, the only other ship of the class, built at the shipyard Cammel Laird. The total cost for the construction was of 7.504 million pounds and were used components from HMS Anson and HMS Howe, Class Admiral, never completed.
It became the flagship of the Home Fleet from the time of the launch. In 1931, the crews of the Nelson and Rodney took part in all of Invergordon Mutiny. During the 30 years it underwent some minor changes and the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, he was still assigned to the Home Fleet. Between 25 and 26 September he took part as a spare to rescue the submarine HMS Spearfish. In October, it was used in theNorth Sea against a formation of German cruisers and destroyers, but they managed to avoid it. On October 30, it was attacked by the German submarine U-56 was able to hit it with three torpedoes, none of which exploded. Later he was again employed in the hunting of the German battle cruisers, but without success. On the morning of December 4 it ran into a magnetic mine in front of Loch Ewe,Scotland and remained on site for repairs until August 1940.

After being returned to service operated in theEnglish Channel. Between April and June 1941 it participated in stocks instead convoys in theAtlantic. Towards the end of May he moved toFreetown,South Africa, before returning to Gibraltar during the huntingBismarck.

In June 1941 he was assigned to Force H in the Mediterranean Sea with the task of supply and disturbance of the Italian convoys. The September 27, 1941 it was severely damaged by an attack of torpedo bombers of the Royal Air Force and was sent back home for repairs that lasted until May 1942. She returned to the Mediterranean in August as flagship of Force H, escorting convoys toMalta. In the following November he participated at Operation Torch with support duties. In July 1943 he took part in the invasion ofSicily (Operation Husky), where on July 16 was damaged by an Italian fighter, and in September the Battle of Salerno, with the task of bombing the coast.

On board the Nelson was signed on 29 September, the so-called Armistice long after that of Cassibile of September 8, between General Eisenhower and Marshal Pietro Badoglio.

In November following the ship returned toEnglandfor a riaddobbo, which also included a sharp increase in anti-aircraft equipment. Back in service it participated in the operations relating to the Battle of Normandy, but was badly damaged by two mines June 18, 1944 and sent toPhiladelphia,Pennsylvaniafor the necessary repairs. He returned toBritainin January 1945 and was sent in Indian Ocean, arriving inColomboin July. It was used in Malaysian waters for three months. September 2, 1945 the Japanese forces in the area to formally surrendered toGeorge Town.

Nelson returned home the following November and remained the flagship of the Home Fleet until July 1946, when it was converted into a training ship. In February 1948 he went to disarmament and was used for a few months as the target of artillery before being demolished as of March 15,1949 in Inverkeithing.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress