Thewas born on 5 December 1841 in three classes donated by Prince Constantine of Hohenzollern-Hechingen and Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen as Princely , and after 12 March 1850 that transfer of two principalities to king Frederick William IV of Prussia on 16 January 1851 brought to a Royal House Order with two separate orders (Prussian royal and princely Hohenzollern).
He was not purely military or war decoration and could be awarded in the form of the eagle also to civilian persons who had distinguished themselves against the House of Hohenzollern.
In the statutes of 23 August 1851, Article 3:
The royal order was in accordance with the statutes of 23 August 1851 in the version of 18 October 1861 two sections, each with four classes: the military department of the cross with swords – 27 Introduced in February 1864 – and without swords and the civil department of eagles. The ranks of the civil department were:
with star (introduced on 18 October 1861)without star
with star (introduced on 18 October 1861)without star
•Owner (introduced on March 9, 1861)
The royal order had according to the statutes of 10 February 1891 following classes:
•Cross of Merit, First Class
•Honorary Cross Second Class
•Cross of Honor III. Class
•Golden Honorary Medal
The inscription of the Order was FOR LOYALTY AND MERIT.
On 18 December 1866 two crossed swords were placed through the crossing angle of the decoration for military services.
The Knight’s Cross with Swords of the Royalwas
de facto the highest Prussian bravery medal for officer s to the rank of
Captain. In many cases, he was regarded as the precursor of the Pour le Mérite and jokingly called “-Pour le Mérite”.
In the department of eagles, which was assigned mainly to science ler, teacher and artist, was worn instead of a cross, a black Prussian eagle with full regalia and with the Hohenzollern crest on the chest. Eagle’s head, a ring, highlighted in blue with the Order motto FROM ROCK TO THE SEA, which should illustrate the historical path of Hohenzollern.
In the Department of Crosses Order’s cross enamelled white with black border. In the obverse medallion in the white box shows the black Prussian eagle with the Hohenzollern coat of arms on the breast, which is surrounded by a blue band with the Order motto FROM ROCK TO SEA. The medallion on a white field in the reverse depicts the royal signature, that of a blue ribbon with the date 18 January 1851 is surrounded. The “Hohenzollern” was in the II and III. Worn to class a white ribbon with two black stripes on both sides and a narrower black stripe in the middle of the strip, in the first class of a religious chain with alternating the Hohenzollern, Nuremberg burggräflich Reichserbkämmerischen and coats of arms. Insignia of Großkomturen was called Hohenzollern chain.
In times of war, the Order was awarded in two classes at the black-white band: the Knight’s Cross only to officer s, the “Cross of owner” of officers who had distinguished himself by exceptional bravery and thus through their outstanding achievements for the country. This was from 27 February 1864 made by two crossed swords marked.
In the German-Danish(1864) the Knight’s Cross with Swords was eight, the German (1866) presented 36 times. For the German-Prussian (1870/71), the religious ceremonies with a list of nine swords, three officers received the Swords to the Knight’s Cross. Even in colonial wars was “Hohenzollern” a rare distinction. In the ranking of 1909 only three are listed as colonial officers of the Order. In the First World War and later awarded the coveted numerous conferred the Order continued very slow (Horny). The very significant award has only been awarded 8,291 times. The cross bearer for the well-deserved officers, which was only awarded 17 times in the First World War, a reason to pay honor Soldes, which was also recognized in the Federal Republic was additionally.
The complicated award system of the Kingdom of Prussia and the German Empire, which had no orders, stipulated that no soldier could receive output for twice the same award. An officer of thealready I. Class had, got the medal for exceptional performance repeated. He was thus virtually an intermediate stage to the Military Merit Order Pour le Mérite.
After 1918, he was still awarded to German nationals from the former German Emperor Wilhelm II in his exile as Doorner House Order until about 1936. After the ban,joined s with respect to the awarding former German dynastic orders in force. After 1936, the “Hohenzollern” was awarded to the death of the ex-Emperor in 1941 not only to German nationals.
•Jörg Nimmergut: German Orders and Decorations to 1945 Volume 1 Anhalt – Hohenzollern.. Volume 2 Limburg – Reuss. Centre for Scientific customer orders, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-00-00-1396-2.
•Horny Willi: The Knight of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with swords in the Great War. (= Statistical elaborations to faleristics Germany. Volume IV) PHV, Offenburg, 1997, ISBN 3-932543-03-3.
•Louis Schneider: * House Order of Hohenzollern, Berlin: Duker, 1869
•Richard Lundström, Daniel Krause: ceremonies of the princely House Order of Hohenzollern with swords and the golden medal of honor with swords 1914-1947. Konstanz 2008, ISBN 978-3-937064-12-3.
•The Royal House Order of Hohenzollern – Articles, Pictures
•The Prussian Order-Herold, 1868, compilation of all statutes and regulations of the Prussian orders and decorations – Google books
Orders and Decorations (Prussia)
Winner of House Order of Hohenzollern