QF 4 inch Mk V
Mk V as anti-aircraft gun
Caliber: 102 mm
Barrel length: 4.59m
(Gauge length 45)
Weight 3172 kg
Ammo: 150 to 200 shells per gun (depending on type)
Weight of the shell: 24.26 kg (HE)
25.4 kg (SAP)
Bullet weight: 14.06 kg (HE)
15.2 kg (SAP)
Muzzle velocity: 728 m / s
Elevation range: Minimum -5 °
Maximum +80 ° (carriage Mk III)
Range: 15,000 m (max.)
Excess amount at +80 °: 9,400 m (max.)
Rotation Speed: only manually
Increase speed: only manually
Rate of Fire: 10-15 rounds / min
The QF 4 inch (102 mm) was a British naval gun dating from the First World, which was adapted with suitable mountings for use as a heavy anti-aircraft artillery on land and at sea. During , it was also used in the coastal defense. The length is 45 caliber (4.59 m). As ammunition came in the First World both two-piece ammunition (projectile and charge separately) for Seezielgeschütze as well as one-piece cartridge ammunition (for the anti-aircraft) for use. All Mk V, built in 1918, used one-piece ammunition.
Fields of Application
This naval gun was introduced due to the higher rate of fire than replacing the BL 4 inch Mk VII.
The first use learned it in 1914 as secondary armament on the light cruisers Arethusa class. It was quickly adapted for use in Air Defense and was typically mounted on heavy cruisers and battleships.
From the 1930s it was 4 inch Mk XVI superseded on new construction of these classes, the QF as anti-aircraft gun, but found n to many light cruisers and destroyers incontinued use.
At the beginning of WorldI several guns of the Navy were made for testing as anti-aircraft gun for home defense and for the protection of important objects. They were mounted on fixed platforms and proved to be quite successful, after a one-piece cartridge was introduced in place of the original two-piece ammunition. The anti-aircraft gun mount allowed for an elevation range of 80 °, but the reloading was impossible above 62 °. This reduced the maximum rate of fire considerably. At the time of the armistice were 24 guns in the UK and two in France for anti-aircraft defense in action. After the war the guns were returned to the Navy.
Between 1915 and 1928, several guns were installed in the coastal forts, which guarded the mouth of the Humber.
The Mark XV possessed until the amended closure mechanism, the same performance as the Mk V. Two Mk V guns were tentatively reconstructed on the amended closure and used in a prototype twin gun mount, the 1931 was installed on the lower deck ofon tests. Of the six newly produced Mk XV-four guns were set up in 1936 in a newly-developed Mk XVIII twin guns on . But tests revealed a miserable rate of fire and the towers was removed in 1938.
The open design of the guns crews offered little protection against foul weather, which mainly affected the rate of fire. All individual carriages were aligned by hand.
Model Mk V
Anti-aircraft gun from the
Gun Caliber 100 mm to 200 mm