USS Bogue (CVE-9)

The USS Bogue (AVG/ACV/CVE-9) was an escort aircraft carriers of the United States Navy and the lead ship of the Bogue class. The carrier converted from a merchant ship was 1942-1946 in service with the U.S. Navy and was mainly used in the Battle of the Atlantic as a submarine hunter, from the summer of 1945 then served in the Pacific theater. Eleven German and two Japanese submarine s were sunk during the period of use by on-board aircraft or escorts the Bogue. Thus, it is considered as the most successful anti-submarine carrier during World War II. Technology

The Bogue was at the waterline 141.7 meters long and 21.2 meters wide. The Length was 151.2 meters, the maximum width of 34 meters. With a draft of 7.9 meters, the carrier was empty n is a standard displacement of 7800 ton, the load displacement was 15,400 ts. The ship had a flight deck with dimensions of 24 x 135 m.

Two water tube boilers with 19,65 bar operating pressure generated steam for a single turbine gearbox, which gave their performance of 8500 shaft horsepower to a single propeller. The maximum speed was 18 knots, with 2413 tons of fuel on board was a range of 26,300 nautical miles at 17 knots n obtained at 15 knots and 22,500 nautical miles.

The armament of the Bogue was originally two 127-mm guns on both sides at the rear, these were complemented by 40-mm and 20-mm guns over the period of use. From 1943, eight 40-mm-twins and 27 20-mm guns were used for individual aircraft on board. Already commissioning of the Bogue was equipped with SG and SC radar. In May 1943, the carrier is a HF-DF system for submarine detection.

On board up to 28 aircraft could be carried, while the inserts but rarely were more than 24 aircraft on board, mostly of type F4F Wildcat and TBF Avenger.


Construction and commissioning

The Bogue was originally ordered in 1940 by the Isthmian Steamship Company as type C3 freighter SS Steel Advocate at Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding. On 1 October 1941 the ship was named “Hull # 170″ the Maritime Commission in the Dock 9 down in Tacoma, Washington on Kiel. After the christening on 15 January 1942, the freighter was launched from the dock, on 1 May 1942, the U.S. Navy took over the ship to convert it to the escort carrier. Named after the Bogue Sound in North Carolina, the carrier was on 26 September 1942 provided in the Navy under the symbol ACV-9 (Auxiliary Aircraft Carrier) under the command of Captain Giles E. Short in service.

First rides in the waters off Seattle served to test the new ship. On 17 November 1942 then broke the Bogue on to San Diego, where they “9 composite squadron” (VC-9) took his air group aboard the under Lieutenant Commander William Drane. On 11 December left the carrier then the U.S. west coast and drove through the Panama Canal to Norfolk, where he at first January 1943 arrived. In the following month and a half antisubmarine exercises were conducted also improvements to the marine engineering and armament were made, including the extinguishing system was improved and introduced concrete ballast to increase stability. On 24 February Bogue then put the course on Argentia, Newfoundland, where she arrived four days later.

March to July 1943

After British liaison officers and radio operators had been taken on board, which should improve its cooperation with the escort of the convoy, the carrier left on 5th March of the harbor along with the two destroyers Belknap and George E. Badger to the next day to join the convoy HX-228 which went towards the British Isles. On 10 March sighted the aircraft carrier for the first time a submarine and attacked it to no avail. On the same day, the Bogue sat on the convoy and returned to Newfoundland to 20 March to take over the escort of the convoy SC-123. To 26 March escorted the convoy of the carrier, then he went on Argentia to Boston, where one of the catapults was repaired. On 20 April Bogue arrived back in Argentia, three days later, she then ran out to meet up with the convoy HX-235th On 28 April, a submarine was sighted, the attack on the boat remained without success. The following day, the carrier took over the advance assurance of the convoy on the 30th April parted Bogue and her escorts of Convoy HX-235 and went to Belfast where they on 2 May arrived. In the following two weeks, the units exercised together with British forces in Argentia taken on board the liaison officers left the Bogue again. In a drydock period, the carrier was equipped with the RF-DF system, in addition further Avenger torpedo bomber was taken on board.

On 15 May was the carrier of Belfast in the North Atlantic, where he met with the westward moving convoy ON-184 four days before Iceland. The USS Bogue took over with their escorts Nahsicherung of the Association.

On 21 May grabbed a TBF Avenger of Bogue about 500 nautical miles southeast of Greenland, appeared propelled submarine U 231, and damaged it so badly that it had to return to Brest for repairs. The following day, another Avenger attacked U 468, due to an incorrect position report found the emitted reinforcing the submarine is not. Instead, U 305 was repeatedly attacked by torpedo bombers, but the submarine was able to avoid the attacks of the aircraft and the destroyer Osmond Ingram, but also had to give up due to severe damage to the pursuit of the convoy and return to Brest. In the afternoon we took another Avenger bombers on U 569, which was located about 20 nautical miles behind the Bogue. The submarine dived first, but then had to return to the surface, where it was bombed again because of the damage. U capsized through 569, but could be brought back under control by the crew and was once again came to the surface, abandoned by its crew. The Canadian destroyer HMCS St. hurrying Laurent was able to rescue 24 survivors from the water. The convoy ON-184 reached the American coast without losses.

Together with the destroyers Clemson, George E. Badger, Greene and Osmond Ingram left the Bogue on 30 May Newfoundland to track and hunt submarines, attacking the convoys between the United States and North Africa. The “hunter killer group” to the Bogue accompanied the convoy GUS-7A, who drove to Gibraltar. On 4 June Avenger bombers attacked three of the wearer surfaced propelled submarines, but could not get any matches. The next day, a sunken Avenger and Wildcat that operated together, the submarine U 217, which belonged to the group of “defiance”. 8 June aircraft attacked the Bogue repeated at 758 U, but that withstood both air strikes and a water bombing of the USS Clemson and escaped, despite a flooded section.

U 118 and U 460 were ordered to support the ailing U 758, but the command was intercepted by American intelligence. The Bogue and her hunting association were ordered to intercept, 12 June then attacked seven aircraft carrier to the U-boat and sank it 20 miles away from the carrier. Rafts were dropped and rescued 17 survivors, most of them wounded, who had been taken over by U 758 U 118. On 20 June came the anti-submarine returned to Norfolk Association.

After Captain Joseph B. Dunn had taken command of the Bogue, left the carrier, now classified as CVE-9 (Escort Carrier), mid-July 1943 in Norfolk, to support moving to Gibraltar convoy UGS-12th Although several submarines were located by radio direction finding, no successful attacks have been reported. On the morning of 23 July pinpointed the George E. Badger U 613, a vehicle loaded with mines Submarine Type VIIC by sonar. The destroyer took four attacks with depth charges on the submerged boat and could hear the breaking of the boat on the hydrophone s. Moreover debris and oil was observed on the surface. Around noon sighted a surfaced two Avenger-propelled submarines, U 527 and U 648th U dived 648, U 527, however, tried to escape in a fog banks, but was hit by water bombs torpedo bomber and sank. 13 German sailors were rescued. Bogue left the convoy UGS-12 on 26 July, at the sea area to operate to Madeira. On 1 August was the carrier association in Casablanca.

August-December 1943

After an uneventful Atlantic crossing the Bogue ran on 23 August back in Norfolk. The board Squadron VC-9 was replaced there by the VC-19th In September there was another Atlantic crossing, without encountering enemy submarines, the U-Hunting Association was launched on 26 September in Casablanca. Three days later, the association ran out again to support the convoy GUS-16, which went to the United States. After a few days, the Bogue separated from the convoy, patrolling in the sea area east of the Azores, before 20 October broke in again in Norfolk. On 14 November left the Bogue together with the destroyers Du Pont, George E. Badger, Osmond Ingram and Clemson Norfolk, to ensure the Nahsicherung for the convoy UGS-24. Main area were the waters east of Bermuda’s where 30 November was 238 U hit so hard by the aircraft carrier that it was ordered back to Europe. The Bogue ran on 5 December 1943 in Casablanca. Four days later, the U-Jagdverband left to the escort carrier the North African port back to escort the convoy moving westward CIS 23rd After the convoy had passed a certain sea area in which radio direction finding a high number of German submarines had suggested, the Bogue separated by the Association to continue to operate alone. On 12 December reached a TBF Avenger, the German submarine U-172 with a Mark 24 – to torpedo that damaged the submarine. Following the attacks of destroyers George E. Badger, and Du Pont with water bombs and escaped Hedgehogs U 172, but then dipped to the west, and the American ships attempted to escape. On board the George E. Badger, the submarine was however noticed on the radar and attacked nearly 4,000 meters with guns. A torpedo, which the submarine shot down on the destroyer, missed its target, in turn, U 172 was again attacked with depth charges and damaged. Since the sonar contact was lost to the submarine, however, the destroyer returned back to Bogue. The next morning, an aircraft carrier of the sighted an oil slick, which pointed to a submerged, damaged submarine. Again, the destroyer Clemson, George E. Badger, and Osmond Ingram were turned off to attack the submarine. After five more water bombing U 172 appeared severely damaged and some of the crew disembarked. However, the deck gun of U 172 was manned and managed to shoot Osmond Ingram. After further attacks from the air and from the three destroyers U 172 finally exploded and sank. 46 German sailors were rescued.

A week later, U 850 was attacked on the surface of an Avenger, but missed. The submarine crew opened with their anti-aircraft gun fire on the American aircraft, but were brought from F4F Wildcat, which were ordered by the Bogue for reinforcement, to silence. Another Avenger threw four hydrogen bombs, which damaged the submarine and it could dive. Just as the submarine came to the surface again, it was hit by two Mark 24 Fido aft and sank with all hands.

Anti-submarine operations in 1944

Christmas 1943 spent the Bogue on the Bermuda Islands, their next assignment in early 1944 was the transport of P-47 Thunderbolts to Britain. With the return of the aircraft carrier was damaged by heavy weather and had to repair the dock in Norfolk. There came the new air group, the “composite squadron 95″ (VC-95), on board, also received the Bogue new destroyer escort as escort. On 13 March examined the anti-submarine Funkpeilungskontakt a group, as a Avenger bombers reported an oil slick on the water surface. Dropped sonobuoy s pointed to a submarine and then the destroyer escort USS Haverfield was ordered to investigate the contact. Together with the Canadian frigate HMCS Prince Rupert attacked the Haverfield on the submarine. They were later joined by the USS Hobson and other Avenger bombers. U 575 was forced to the surface, where it was attacked with gunfire and depth charges. Seven minutes after surfacing the boat sank on the rear. On board the Heizwache remained standing on guard, because the aft hatch could not be opened due to unexplained circumstances. In addition, the Chief Engineer was a demolition squad voluntarily in the boat. Other losses were caused by the direct fire of the men floating on the water by the destroyers and the aircraft. 17 crew members are like, 37 men were rescued. In almost five hours tracking over 250 water bombs were thrown. U 575 was the first snorkel boat that was sunk by American forces. After a short stopover in Casablanca, the Association continued its hunt west of the Cape Verde islands continued, but was unsuccessful. On Trinidad, the association reversed the Bogue on 19 April to Norfolk.

Under the command of Captain Aurelius as Vosseller and the “composite squadron 69″ aboard the USS Bogue left on 5th Hampton Roads in May 1944, accompanied by the escorts Haverfield, Francis M. Robinson, Janssen, Willis and Wilhoite. On 13 May pinpointed the Francis M. Robinson northwest of the Cape Verde Islands, a submarine and attacked it with Hedgehogs. The Japanese submarine RO-501, formerly D 1224 the German Navy, sank with all hands. On 29 May ran the association in a Casablanca, 15 May left the U-Hunting Association North Africa again to secure a convoy. On the same day the Bogue and her escorts were ordered about 850 nautical miles west of the Cape Verde Islands to track down a German and a Japanese submarine. On the night of 24 June pinpointed an Avenger torpedo bomber, flown by Lieutenant Commander Jesse D. Taylor appeared propelled Japanese submarine I-52 via radar. I-52, traveling to Bordeaux with 285 tons of war-strategic freight for the German Reich, including molybdenum, tungsten and rubber, 14 Japanese technicians and 3 tons of gold in 146 bars as payment for German engineering, had a few hours before met with U 530, that two radio operator, a pilot n and a Naxos radar detector was transferred aboard the Japanese vessel. The pilot of the submarine Avenger illuminated by flares, then he dropped two 500-pound depth charges, forcing I-52 for diving. Guided by sonar buoys, Taylor attacked the submarine with a Mark-24 torpedo, the explosion could be heard clearly. Also sounds of shattering submarine were recorded by sonobuoys. About an hour later heard another Avenger, flown by Lt. (Jg) William Gordon, still screws noise, whereupon another Mark-24 torpedo was dropped. 18 minutes after the dropping of a severe, prolonged underwater explosion occurred and there were sounds of shattering submarine recorded. Destroyers rushed to Versenkungsort, found a large oil slick on the water surface and could also involve parts of the charge of the submarine. Survivors were not found. With a displacement of 3644 tons, was the largest I-52 submarine sank the Axis powers during the Battle of the Atlantic.

Almost the entire July 1944 was the Bogue in Norfolk, the “composite squadron 69″ was replaced by the “composite squadron 42″, which also brought with radar and searchlight s equipped TBM-1 Avenger aboard. End of July broke the carrier on a training cruise to Bermuda, where he at first Expired in August to replace the USS Wake Iceland. On 16 August was followed by the Bogue German submarine U 802, but managed to avoid the attacks of the boat. An air attack on U was 802 three days later unsuccessful because the British lightweight 250-pound depth charges could not damage the submarine. On the way north, crossing the Bogue, the price of the U-boat U 1229, which was traveling from Trondheim to the coast of Maine, to depose a spy. In an air raid, the batteries were damaged by U 1229 so that it could no longer absorb dipped ride. Further attacks by U 1229 was so badly damaged that it had to be abandoned and sunk. 42 survivors were rescued.

End of the war

In the following months, the number of German U-boats in American waters took off, which also means most boats now operated with snorkel s what the discovery more difficult. The Bogue was used as a training carrier, 23 February 1945 she ran out with a load of P-51 Mustang to Liverpool on 12 March, she arrived back in Norfolk.

On 16 The carrier ran from April to a recent anti-submarine use. Together with ten destroyers left the convoy Bogue, under the command of Captain George J. Dufek and the “composite squadron 19″ on board, Quonset to the west, where the Association united with the USS Core and their twelve escorts to German submarines that supposedly zuhielten on the U.S. coast to launch rockets to intercept. On 23 April 1945 pinpointed an aircraft of the Bogue U 546 and attacked it. The submarine, which was located almost in the middle of the 70 mile long formation, dived and was located again until the next day. The destroyer escort Frederick C. Davis, who had 546 U located, but was torpedoed by U-boat and sank with heavy loss. After another water bombs and attacks the Hedgehog sonar contact the submarine was lost several times and resumed. In the early evening a hedgehog attack tore open the hull of the boat and flooded the battery compartment so that the commander of U 546 was forced to surface. On the surface, he unsuccessfully tried to torpedo the USS Flaherty. U 546 finally fell at 18:45 clock at the gunfire of five destroyers. 33 German sailors were rescued.


After the end of the war in Europe, the Bogue was transferred to the Pacific where they On 3 July arrived in San Diego. Use a drive led the carrier to Guam, where he at 24 July arrived. Another intervention took place in the North Pacific Ocean, between the 19th August and 6 September the Bogue go to Adak, subsequently she was assigned the operation Magic Carpet and brought U.S. soldiers from the Pacific Islands and Japan back to the States. On 30 November 1946 the carrier in Tacoma was decommissioned and assigned to the reserve fleet.

While the Bogue was in reserve, she was on 12 June 1955 reclassified to “Escort Helicopter Aircraft Carrier” (CVHE-9). After removal from the shipping registers on 1 March 1959 the former aircraft carrier was sold for scrapping in 1960 to Japan.

The USS Bogue received for their use three Battlestar s and was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation.

Bogue class

Ship in World War II

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress